Change of Major Policy

Construction Management (CM) is an impacted major and spots available for potential change of majors are limited. Meeting minimum performance criteria as outlined below does not guarantee the student the right to enter into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) with the CM Department. The department’s policies and procedures comply with Cal Poly’s Process for Change of Major as described on the University’s website: Go to University's Change of Major Webpage

Keep in mind that the CM department may have additional requirements over the University's Guidelines (see below).

I. General Guidelines

  1. Minimum Time at Cal Poly
    Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before requesting a change of major.
  2. Basic Criteria Used in Determining Change of Major Options
    The Construction Management Department will consider the following criteria in determining whether or not to enter into an ICMA with a student:
    • The student’s college academic record (e.g., GPA, completed coursework, etc.
    • Remaining coursework and the student’s ability to complete degree requirements in the CM Major within the 213 maximum limit (189 total units for the CM degree plus a maximum of 24 units allowed by Cal Poly in excess of program requirements).
  3. One Chance to be Accepted
    Students who enter into an ICMA and do not complete the ICMA requirements will not be eligible to request that major again later in their career at Cal Poly.
  4. Completion of Change of Major
    The change of major will be approved once the student has successfully met all of the requirements of the ICMA.
  5. Timeframe
    The ICMA must be feasible to complete and be completed in no more than two quarters.
  6. Academic Standing
    A change of major agreement will be void if a student is academically disqualified prior to the completion of the ICMA.

II. Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA)

The CM Department will develop an ICMA with qualified students on a space available basis. The student will be accepted into the major if the ICMA is completed based on the following components:

  1. Students must complete CM 102, MATH 142 or 182, and PHYS 141 within two quarters.
  2. Student must have a minimum 2.5 GPA (Cal Poly cumulative) to enter into an ICMA and must maintain at least a 2.5 Cal Poly cumulative GPA during the duration of the ICMA until completion.
  3. Students will not be allowed to enter into an ICMA if they have not been at Cal Poly for at least one quarter.
  4. Students cannot be on Academic Probation during any quarter of the ICMA duration.

III. Application Steps for Change of Major to Construction Management

  1. Step One: Talk to your current major advisor to ensure that your current major is not the best academic fit for you at this time.
  2. Step Two: Meet with the Construction Management Department Head for an individual advising session. This can be done any time prior to officially asking to initiate an ICMA. Bring the following items with you at the initial meeting:
    • A copy of your Poly Profile and your Degree Progress Report.
    • An unofficial copy of any AP credit or transfer credit from other colleges.
  3. Step Three: If you receive a positive assessment based on consideration of the process outlined above, and it is clear that you can complete degree requirements in the Construction Management major within the unit maximum, an ICMA will be initiated for you by the CM Department. Requests to initiate an ICMA outside of this timeframe will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Revised: August 26, 2016

Related Content

Support CM

Support CM


Image of student services window

Link to the Admissions Website for information on selection criteria, application deadlines, creating your VIP page and more


Consulting & Training

Learn more about CM's Consulting and Training Opportunities

Learn More


25-35 hours/week of study time

Most College Students Don't Study Enough! Don't be left behind.